10/4/12

velcade - cycle five

I am well into my fifth thirty-five day cycle on bortezomib (Velcade). Today I received my second of four weekly treatments. It is good to be able to continue to report good news. After the failure of the autologous stem cell transplant to provide a remission and after the allergic reaction that I experienced when receiving lenalidomide (Revlimid) I am grateful that Velcade in combination with dexamethasone is working to reduce and stabilize my protein free light chain count below 100 (down from 1600 when first diagnosed). The results after my fourth cycle on Velcade are a count of 96.6. Yay! I am also grateful that I am experiencing only minor side effects - soreness, redness and itchiness at the injection sites and some fatigue on the weekend. As a result of feeling (relatively) normal and stable I have begun to work with a fitness trainer at Back on Track Fitness who specializes in working with cancer patients. It will be interesting to see how my body responds. No, another marathon is not on the horizon. On second thought, this new journey is my next marathon. My goal now is simply to feel better, stronger, fitter. In the meantime, I am enjoying this precious time in my life. I hope that you are also able to experience these days as precious.

No comments:

Post a Comment