11/23/11

transplant plus seventy

Today marks seventy days since I received my stem cells and began the day by day recovery to normalcy. Given that the doctors predict a return to work after ninety days this leaves just three weeks until I can likely get back to ministry with University Hill Congregation. I am fortunate that there have been no set backs along the way so far. I am feeling eager to return but know that slow and steady is the necessary course to take.

Yesterday I was in to the local lab for blood work in preparation for a visit with Dr. Ramadan at St. Paul's Hospital next Tuesday. This begins the transfer back to my long-term hematologist from Dr. Song and the team at the bone marrow transplant clinic. I am scheduled to see them once more in January. Then I will have monthly blood work and meet with Dr. Ramadan quarterly while the disease stays in remission. We're hoping for a lengthy stretch of health. I am expecting that at next week's appointment I will receive the go ahead for part-time return to work in mid-December. In the meantime, I continue to exercise daily and keep myself busy with writing, reading and small projects around the house.

I came across an interesting article in the news the other day, noting that it was two Canadians who, in 1960, discovered the existence of stem cells and are being belatedly touted for the Nobel Prize. That discovery has led to a wide array of treatments - including the one that I have received. Reading the story of their discovery gave me a sense of connection with all of those who have benefited as a result. In the years ahead I wonder what discoveries being made now will be a gift to me and others?

4 comments:

  1. So happy all is progressing well for you Ed! May blessings continue to abound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are looking forward to your return to Uhill
    As always blessings on you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad for this update Ed. Looking forward to having you back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such good news, Ed. What an interesting article which shows us the quiet dedication and perseverance of researchers everywhere working on tomorrow's breakthroughs. Love from the Mayne Island side of the water.

    ReplyDelete